Frank P. Milburn was chosen to design the new courthouse in 1906. Milburn was known throughout the southeast in the period from 1880 to 1920 as a prolific architect. His deisgns for public buildings, including courthouses, state houses, train stations, and others were built in Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, as well as Virginia.
Milburn had a prolific architectural business, primarily in the southeastern US from the 1880s to the 1920s. He was noted for using very modern business practices, especially for the time. He reused designs (or portions of designs) as much as possible, reducing the cost. There were several other public buidlings in the region that bear a striking resembalance, however, the Historic 1908 Courthouse is only one a few that survive.